How to dress for your body type
When you look great, you feel great—and the key is dressing for your unique body frame. This guide will show you the best ways to dress your body type. Once you learn how to dress for your body type, it’s amazing how easy it is to build a wardrobe you love to wear.
For this post, I’ve selected only items from H&M. As I believe that you can still look put together and Parisian chic when on a budget.
STEP 1- BODY TYPE QUIZ
How do I know what my body type is?
Take this quick quiz to discover your body type and get a selection of style tips based on your results.
Keep reading for style tips, outfit inspiration, and answers to all the questions you have about dressing your body.
What are 4 body types?
While there are many different body shapes out there, mostly women align with one of five: apple, pear, hourglass, inverted triangle and rectangle. Knowing this will help you learn how to best dress for your body type.
STEP 2-LEARN WHAT TO WEAR ACCORDING TO YOUR BODY TYPE
If you’re curvy with a less defined waist, you’re likely an apple shape (also known as a circle or round body type).
Here are the best tops, jackets, pants, dresses to complement an apple-shaped frame.
Tops for Apple Shaped Body
Your top layer can do a lot to help flatter your frame. In fact, it can really make or break an outfit.
Best Jackets for Apple-Shaped Women
Blazers and Cardigans should be your new best friends as they add structure and shape.
1.Long Vest – are an excellent layering piece that also creates vertical lines to lengthen your midsection.
Best Pants for Apple Shapes
My best tip is to wear anything that makes our legs look longer.
If your hips are broader than your shoulders, you’re likely a pear shape (also known as a triangle body type).
Best Tops for Pear-Shaped Bodies
1.Pleated Blouse-The quintessential chic top. And the sleeves will add volume to your top half.
2. Long V-Neck Blouse- matched with slim pants should be your daily uniforms.
Best Jackets for Pear-Shaped Women
Like the apple shaped, Blazers and Cardigans should be your new best friends as they add structure and shape.
1.Long Blazer– are an excellent layering piece that also creates vertical lines to lengthen your midsection.
Best Pants for Pear-Shaped Bodies
Finding the right pants can give you headaches. Curve-skimming styles in stretch fabrics is the answer.They will flatter your hips.
If your shoulders and hips are fairly balanced and you have a defined waist, you’re likely an hourglass shape.
Best Tops for an Hourglass Figure
Focus on: Fitted and structured tops. As they look naturally great on your frame.
1. Wrap Tops–The perfect top to highlight your shape.
2. V-Neck Blouse–This neckline draws the eye toward a defined midsection.
Best Jackets for an Hourglass Figure
Your jacket choice is determined by what you want to highlight: your waist, your curves, or your legs.
1. Belted jackets –The hem lands above your hips to accentuate your bottom half.
2. Long belted coat –A long coat creates the illusion of longer legs.
Best Pants for an Hourglass Figure
Focus on your waist.
1. Stretchy–These pants follow your curves for a more comfortable fit.
2. High-waisted–A flattering and comfortable rise for women of all ages.
Inverted Triangle Body Shape
If your shoulders are broader than your hips, you’re likely an inverted triangle.
Best Tops for an Inverted Triangle Frame
Let your neckline and hips steal away the spotlight.
2. V-Neck Blouse–This shape opens up your chest to create a long, lengthened neckline.
Best Jackets if you’re an Inverted Triangle
Look for pieces that add volume near your hips to help balance your frame.
1. Cropped jacket– cropped styles will accentuate the waist.
2. Wrap–Loose-fitting fabrics add movement and space near your hips.
Best Pants for an Inverted Triangle Shape
Give your legs and ankles the attention they need.
1. Boyfriend–This baggy style creates curves around the hips and thighs.
2. Wide-leg –Wide-leg flared pants create an “X” shape—your own version of an hourglass.
Rectangle Body Shape
If your four measurements are fairly uniform and you have a straighter build, you’re likely a rectangle.
Best Tops for Rectangle Body Shapes
Create the appearance of curves, you’ll want tops that accentuate your top half and give shape to your waist.
1. V-neck blouse–Go with a deep V,this neckline is ideal for highlighting your collarbone.
2. Peplum Top–this neckline helps to create curves, as the peplum bodice accentuates the waist.
Best Jackets for Rectangle Body Shape
Your top layer can do a lot to add dimension to your frame.
1. Trench coat–A staple for French chic style, a trench coat is a classic piece that pairs well with just about any outfit. Wear it open or tie the belt for more shape.
2. Vest–Add edge to just about any look with a moto-inspired leather vest.
Best Pants for a Rectangle Body Shape
The key to creating a proportional look is to make sure your jeans complement the silhouette of your tops. If you’re going voluminous on top, balance it out with something fitted on bottom, and vice versa.
1.High-wasted-Especially in darker shades, high-rise jeans will make your legs look a mile long.
2. Straight-Equally chic as the skinny jeans, straight or slim legs add a modern touch to any look.
Do you still help? Book a free consultation with me. If you’re serious about transforming your wardrobe and taking on the world with confidence, BOOK A CALL TODAY