Characteristics of the Hourglass Body
How do you know if you have an hourglass figure?
- Slightly round shoulders
- Bust and hips are of the same size
- Small and defined waist
- Bottom and hips are rounded
- Weight gains typically distribute evenly throughout the body
4 Styling Tips for the Hourglass Body Shape
Your body is curvy and proportioned, so many looks are designed just for you.
To know how to dress an hourglass, I suggest following your natural curves, staying balanced on your top and bottom while emphasizing your waistline.
1. Balance Your Top and Bottom
Wear a top that flatters your bust and a skirt or pants that flatter your hips.
2. Draw Attention to Your Waist
Accentuate your waist by adding a belt or wearing clothes that draw attention to this area of your body:
- Accentuate the waist with belts
- Wear darker colors around your waist area
3. Keep It Simple
Opt for simple, clean outfits, which don’t clutter up the silhouette.You look great in solid colors.
Steer clear of straight cuts and boxy styles, that hide the waist
4. Invest in a Good bras
Outfits that Flatter the Hourglass Figure
The narrow waist is one of the strong points of the hourglass physique. High-waisted pants define the waistline, contrary to low-waisted ones that “widen” the hips. The pants that best match your shape are wide-legged and loose-fitting pants that go straight down to the floor are best. Slightly tapered, boot-cut or flare-out pants are also good.
If jeans must be, let them be high-waisted. The high waist jeans – whether mom fit or skinny – emphasizes the waist and flatter your shapes.
The full jumpsuit is also a strategic outfit for the hourglass. It helps to highlight the silhouette,.
The wrap dress (in addition to being an iconic French outfit is a must-have for the hourglass.Whether mini or midi always works.
Make sure your skirt is high-waisted to highlight the small waist.
In addition to being chic at the right point, the pleated skirt is definitely strategic for the hourglass silhouette because it greatly accentuates the already slim waistline: tightening it and widening just below makes it feel even tighter.
Perfect for almost any situation, it goes well with a t-shirt, a shirt or a loose top, all strictly tucked into the skirt.
Shirts, T-Shirts & Other Tops
Look for shirts that will accentuate your waist and maintain the balanced look of the hourglass shape, i.e. tops should be fitted.
They should nip in at the waist without adding bulk to your chest (unless you have a smaller bust). Belted tops and wrap tops are great to accentuate the waist.
What hourglass should not wear?
1. Avoid drawing attention to the hips and shoulders in order to maintain the natural balance of your body’s silhouette
3. Avoid dresses with straight lines or boxy cuts since they cover your curves and make you appear heavy.
4. Avoid low-rise jeans as they tend to make the hips look wider and the legs shorter.
5. Avoid shapeless and loose clothing as well as eye-catching embellishments
6. Avoid darts and embellishments or pockets around the hips.
7. Avoid big ruffles, bows or any other embellishments that would add a lot of volume to your upper body (unless you add some volume to your hips to balance it out).
Do you have a fashion or style question? You can contact me here!
or Book a FREE Discovery Styling Call
I’m Linda, your go to Stylist, Personal Shopper and Curator.
Whether we can walk together down the streets of Paris, or you would prefer the contactless virtual experience, I will enhance your wardrobe through inspiration, styling tips and tricks, and a curated shopping experience.
Read more about my story here.