Characteristics of the Pear Shaped Body
One of the most common body shapes is the Pear body shape.
What is a Pear Body Shape?
The primary characteristics of the pear body shape include:
- Shoulders are narrower than hips
- Small top half as well as small bust
- A defined waist thanks to larger hips
- Full hips and/or thighs
- Legs are likely full or muscular
- Heavier on the bottom.
- Weight gains tend to first be visible around the hips, thighs
Be careful not to confuse the pear shape with the hourglass shape.
The pear type has a marked waistline, but the hip line exceeds that of the shoulders. The hourglass, has a waistline, but the width of the hips and shoulders is similar.
Fortunately for her, if she gains weight, she does so evenly, the extra pounds are not concentrated on the buttocks and hips.
HOW TO DRESS FOR A PEAR SHAPE
- Focus on structured shoulders to visually widen the shoulder line
- Invest in a good push-up bra to lift your chest
- Use eye-catching prints, textures and details strategically to create interest on top
- Wear fitted clothes to accentuate the waist
- Layering on your top half creates visual interest and draws the eye upwards
- Wear darker colors on your lower body
- Keep your lower body uncluttered and clean
BEST TOPS FOR PEAR BODY TYPE
Fitted and nipped tops help accentuate the waist.
- Tucking your shirt into your bottoms helps to flatter your body shape.
BEST PANTS FOR PEAR SHAPES
Avoid skinny pants in favor or straight or flared that will create a flattering balance between your legs and hips.
If you do prefer a slimmer cut, then you just need choose a darker color and balance it out with a looser fitting top.
- Dark colors, textures proportionate to the figure and vertical stripes will help you to slim the hips and buttocks area.
BEST SKIRTS FOR PEAR SHAPED BODY
Opt for A –line skirts, skirts with flips (Skirts which fits around waist and flares around hemlines) and wraps.
- Avoid short and tights skirts as they will highlight the problematic areas.
BEST JACKETS AND COATS FOR PEAR SHAPED FIGURE
A cropped jacket will be showing off the slim waist. A longer jacket will flatter your body, making it appear long and slender whilst hiding the wider hip area.
- Longer jackets in darker colors will help slim your silhouette down.
What pear shapes should not wear?
- Tight Tops
- Tops with hip details.
- Crop tops
- Blazers with unstructured shoulders
- Jackets with hip embellishments
- Skinny Jeans
- Low rise jeans
Do you have a fashion or style question? You can contact me here!
or Book a FREE Discovery Styling Call
I’m Linda, your go to Stylist, Personal Shopper and Curator.
Whether we can walk together down the streets of Paris, or you would prefer the contactless virtual experience, I will enhance your wardrobe through inspiration, styling tips and tricks, and a curated shopping experience.
Read more about my story here.